Monday, November 28, 2011

Lesson #1: Introduction

As I mentioned in the first post, I'm going to start all of this using a series put out by Microsoft for C# rookies. Here's the first video of that series to get the ball rolling. Here's the current link to Visual C# 2010 Express. As Bob says in the video, the location may change over time. I'm currently using Visual Studio 2010 Professional (MS MVP perks FTW!) and I've noticed a few differences. I just have to roll with them. I don't have any experience to back this up, but I'm going to suggest that you get a version close to what he's using. I doubt a program from 10 years ago is going to be very similar to what's demonstrated in these videos.

But the first step we all need to take in this venture is download and install one of these programs. Later on Bob refers to them as IDEs. That throws me off every now and then being a person who builds computers. My first thought when he used this phrase was "I don't use IDEs anymore. It's all SATA". But that's life with acronyms everywhere. There's bound to be overlap. I run into the same thing working with government stuff.

By the way, I'll use the terminology as much as I can as we go but I'll try to do it without being ignorant to the fact that some people may not know what I'm saying. I know a good way to learn terms is to use them yourself. I suggest anyone following along does the same. If someone uses a term incorrectly, don't fret. We're all rookies. We'll do what we can to correct you.


Here's a link to the actual video file (right click on it and select your browsers version of "Save As..."). What I do is I download the video and use Zune to play it. What this does is it allows me to have the video play on one of my displays while I follow along on the other. I also put these videos on my Windows Phone and my Zune HD. That allows me to re-watch videos while I'm eating lunch or something of that sort. If there's interest, I can create a podcast feed for these videos so Zune downloads them automatically and in order. At least I think I can. I've never done a podcast feed with video. But I'm willing to try it if there's interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment